Monday, May 29, 2006

Bring back two-pocket shirts!

I don't know exactly when men's shirts with two pockets were last made and sold and worn in America, but I do know that they have all but disappeared from stores great and small, and I can't figure out why, and I resent it. I would like to request the world's clothiers to return to making TWO POCKET MEN'S SHIRTS as God intended.

Perhaps some might say a single pocket looks neater, sleeker, more chest-flattering on a man. Well, may be. But I doubt if men prefer them. Since we don't carry purses (most of us), we need two shirt pockets, bulging or not. And how many men fuss about such things? I mean, we stick pencils behind our ears for gosh sakes. Or maybe the two-pocket Hawaiian god-awful baggy sport shirts worn under a cigar, mustache, and dark glasses of the '50's and '60's just gave them a bad name. But I still doubt it.

No, I don't buy the aesthetics argument. One could argue the second pocket is needed for balance. In fact, for the life of me I can't understand any reason for making single pocket shirts other than simple greed. It probably costs a fraction of a cent less to not make the second pocket, and some lazy child labor cheeseball somewhere is making a few more bucks from the accumulated miniscule savings. But it's not like these rags are hand-tailored; second pockets aren't labor-intensive. They're all computer-manufactured by the hundreds of thousands in big machines in seconds anyway and shipped all over the world. And it doesn't cost any appreciable amount more to tell the computer assisted seamstress design to sew on a second pocket, or the square centimeter seamstress to allow the extra material. How much more material is in a pocket, after all? I mean, heck, take an inch all the way around off the length, if that will be enough for the second pocket. The bottom doesn't show anyway; it's (usually) worn tucked inside the trousers.

I last remember buying some seersucker two-pocket summer white dress shirts at a K-mart in my Indiana home town about fifteen years ago, and I haven't seen any since. As a teacher, I always carry too much for one pocket, and teaching in South Florida's often steaming heat, I don't wear an outer sport coat any more than I have to, so I always face the same problem: whether to face the world with a bulging single shirt pocket or stow some of my gear in my trouser pockets till I look like an equipment-challenged photographer, swinging his big genie pants from side to side around my thighs as I walk. I sometimes tear that single shirt pocket, it gets so full.

Okay, I'll admit that over the years, I've come to carry too much junk with me for my own good. And I suppose I have no right to complain unless I fess up to that junk: a cell phone of course, and a day-minder approintment book, pen, reading glasses, chewing gum (I quit smoking in 1997; the gum's my smokes now), and usually my insulin pen, since I'm diabetic. Which of these would I prefer to stow in my pants pocket? None. I reach for them all when I drive, for one thing. Ever try to wrestle stuff out of your pants pocket when you're strapped down by a seat belt, or get your change ready at a toll booth or drive-through window?

Lately, the only two-pocket shirts I've located are on Jungle Jim safari outfits that look like they should come with a pith helmet, and a few on heavy medical-looking uniforms that look like they should be worn under a stethoscope. Oh--and one I found in Orlando that just didn't look like me. I don't do fiesta shiny black and silver stretch fabric with pearl buttons--not that I have anything against those who do.

But things may finally be changing, albeit ever-so-slowly. I found a few two-pocket sports shirts at Penneys in various colors and scarfed them up, and a couple of others at Old Navy. I still haven't found any lightweight ones or dress ones anywhere, but the fact that someone is trying to make and sell them again at all is encouraging. Surely the two-pocket shirt will return someday. Sure hope it's before my few threadbare ones left wear out completely.

14 comments:

Big Penguin said...

For me, pockets just get in the way (I hate trying to iron them) and I can't think of anything I'd ever want to put in one.... let alone two, or more. For that matter, I don't like to carry anything in any pockets; it feels unnatural and bulky. Furthermore, pocket stashes are likely to be lost or crushed.

For today's man, a backpack (or manbag) is the only option for transporting one's essentials.

I wish you luck in finding two-pocket shirts, but I'm glad they don't make'em like they used to.

Carol Anne said...

I hate that a whole lot of women's clothing doesn't have any pockets at all. Sure, things look more flattering without the extra bulge here and there, and most women carry purses, but there are times when I don't want to carry mine, such as when I'm sailing on a boat that doesn't allow much room for extra junk on board.

At least I have found something that works for the boat -- a clear plastic watertight pouch that is just big enough for my keys, glasses, and phone, and that even has floatation so it can be retrieved if it goes overboard.

Iris Blue said...

Pockets on women's shirts/blouses are worthless though. If you put something in your shirt pocket, then it REALLY accents the 'bosom' area. Even empty the pockets seem to be two headlights sticking out and some of us don't need the extra emphasis.

underwear ninja said...

i wore a fanny pouch for a year at school. i thought it was a great idea but i got teased about it a lot. so much so that i had to stop wearing it. not really in style i guess. its too bad too coz it was super practical. if you were in new york you could wear a jacket with pockets on the outside and inside, but florida is a little hot for that. your other option would be to sew on an extra pocket but i guess that might look funny too. hmmm... they need to make more 2-pocket shirts!

Pat said...

Travel store? Travel shirts that don't look too safari-like? Some of them have all sorts of neat pockets. And, then I also have a pair of zip-off convertible pants with pockets all over.

R the Great said...

Funny how some topics everyone can comment on. Never would have dreamed it would be 2-pocket shirts. I looked online for some to get for you but, I didn't have much luck.

Anonymous said...

My father can afford anything he wants and usually buys it. However, all he ever asks for are two-pocket shirts for Christmas and his birthday. Believe me when I say it definetly takes the fun out of these special holidays when you spend your time on a wild goose chase to come up empty. Why can't these clothing companies offer both? I would love to buy him something he really wants instead of it sitting in the closet.

avoice said...

I'm definitely in the camp of people who like two pocket shirts. They were once more popular and were even sometimes used with suits--you saw that in the thirties and forties. Today they are hard to find except as safari style shirts. But they can be found sometimes at Walmart and Pennys. L.L. Bean and Landsend carry some too as "field shirts" in cotton poplin.

Anonymous said...

I solved this problem myself. My problem- my husband files his daily business transactions in the 2 chest pockets, so I was desperate to find 2 chest pockets. All his shirts were now paper thin. Then suddenly the light went on. I purchases 2 of the exact shirts with 1 pocket. I brought them to my local dry cleaners whom does alterations. I had him make 1 shirt short sleeves. Take the sleeves and put an additional pocket on each shirt. Results 2-2pockets shirts, 1 long sleeve, the other short sleeve. It was a little expensive that way, but he's happy. Good luck to all 2 pockets shirt seekers

Anonymous said...

AMBER J : I find this interesting,as, most Women, have not experienced this, and I didn't know.I'm 28,and work in an Office Setting.I, recently, started wearing Womens Oxford Shirts, with Jeans, to work.They are the classic, Collar Buttoned down,wear the Long Sleeves,Buttoned down, and the Top Two Buttons, undone. Mine, have always,had a Shirtpocket.I recently,wore a White one, to work, and went to take a Smoke Break. While, outside,I got tired of carrying my Purse,as well, so, I slipped my Cigarettes and Lighter,into my Shirtpocket, and came back inside. Well, the Men,were a little more attentive.I wondered why, and looked in the Mirror.The Pocket was sticking out, as she said, but, accented my Breast Region. When, I left work,I stopped at a little Pub, we all go to,and instead of carrying my Purse,I slipped my I.D.,Money,and Cigarettes, into my Shirtpocket,again.Looking at the side Mirror, you could really see, the cigarettes, bulging out.Then, this Guy,came over,and asked me to dance.While Dancing, he commented on how Good,my Shirt looked,looking at my Shirtpocket.He commented the Pocket was really Sexy, which surprised me.Well,before, I knew it,he was Kissing Me,hard.One thing ing lead to another, and I found myself,lying on his Bed,while he told me to keep my Shirt on,and leave the Cigarettes,in my Shirtpocket.Needless, to say,after, seven Pleasurable Experiences,Istarted to go,when he made Love to Me, twice more, yes,the Shirt Surprised me. When,I told the Girls,I teach Aerobics to,about it,I saw Tiny Lisa,from class,out,w/you guessed it,an Oxford,tucked into some Jeans,and her ShirtPocket,Stretched out 2 inches, from the Cigarettes.But then,as I was leaving,I saw Littlee Lisa,held against the wall,w/a stranger with his Mouth pressed against hers. So Ladies,I would say it feels really good to use those Shirtpockets.

Anonymous said...

I had the same experience w/wearing the long-sleeved, Oxford Shirt, with the Pocket, and Collars Buttoned down. Howevver, before I ever read this Post, I had worn a White Oxford, Long Sleeved, Button down Collars,tucked into a Miny, Black Skirt,w/heels.I'm real Petite, and in great Shape, but, a little Big Busted. While, out at a Club,I got tired of carrying Cigarrettes, I.D., Money, etc. So, I slipped the Ciggs, and Money, I.D. into my ShirtPocket, and it did stick out, but, was sexy. I was getting a Drink, and a Hot, 21 yr. old guy, i'm 28, came up and asked me to dance. He said, I was the hottest looking Girl, in the place. We sat down, and he started on me, right there, Kissing me, deep, I couldn't resist.Well, we went home, and didn't quite make it. We ended up in a Park, he had me on the hood, of the car, before I knew it, and was Making Love to me, and yes, I screamed loud enough, to, be heard, everywhere. Having three Orgasms, we finally made it home, and he pumped me on the Bed seven more times, hard, my Shirt still on, the Ciggs moved, but, I stuck them back in my Pocket. Forgive my speech, but, I have never been screwed so hard, ever. Total of Fifteen Times, Cumming, and I was worn out. Ladies: Wear the Shirts, you will be glad you did. Katy S.

avoice said...

And so the last post from Katy shows yet another reason why two-pocket shirts should be make more reasonably available.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it figures that Voice?,is that it? would get upset. Voice, is older, you see. She is simply jeealous, that, she stays home crying, for, a Good Man, to reinact, what, shee has not had in 25 years.
I,personally, know voice, I won't say her last name, but, she can't get a Man, has been Divorced, and is looking for Safari Shirts!! Whoooh, too sexy.
Don't hate me, because, since Posting this, Ii wore my Pink Oxford, and quess what? YES!, that's what I was saying a whole lot of, to, Estabon.
Voice, let me see your husband, he couldn't resist.Oh,I forgot,I already, umm.. SAw HIMM !! Yeah Baby.
If you are a Guy, give me a contact, you can see me in any little Oxford Outfit, and see, if you can resist. I'm serious-for Voice, I'll, in person, show you what Men, would Kill for.
Katy Girl

Anonymous said...

Please, Please, don't Katy. He's all I have, you know that. I'm sorry, I take it back.

She is Very Pretty, Guys, I just get a little mad. You win, I submit, Katy Girl/