Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Looks Good For Fall Classes

Today at my University I learned that I would probably be offered two English sections to teach next fall. I immediately calculated my benefits and had the entire fall semester's pay spent before I got to the water fountain.

Let's see, two classes; that's probably three root canals--no, I probably won't need more than one class worth for dental work. It's enough for one hurricane repair, with enough left over for a possible tooth, OR even a trip to New York again to see our son, PLUS maybe even a deck resurfacing. That's if I don't get into dental hell again before fall.

I don't even think anymore in terms of dollars. Not with things costing what they do these days. I think in terms of how many teeth I could fix, how many monster ficus trees removed after they blow over on the neighbors, or how many screens blown out that I could replace. Wow. Well, what can I say. I live in South Florida: Hurricane World, My Blue Heaven, named for our FEMA tarps atop so many roofs. And Dr. Gray says they'll be even worse for a decade or two yet. Sigh.

Wait a minute, I didn't even factor in the Art Appreciation section I might get to repeat also. And if I did that, we might even be able to resurface the pool, go to New York, AND fix two teeth! Wow, what a windfall! Exxon's got nothing on us part-time teachers!

3 comments:

Carol Anne said...

What a great way to look at part-time pay. I'm looking at a new (to me) boat, plus a trailer, plus a year or so worth of fixing up the boat.

underwear ninja said...

lucky that you can plan for your finances. i think in terms of "do i have enough to prepare for a ny curveball?"

R the Great said...

I didn't see any 'presents for Rhonda' on your list!!!