Sunday, September 18, 2005

Oh Bury Me Not in a Shoulder Tote

I've been in a time warp, I guess. We're flying to New York next week (our first flight in eight years), and our usual auto trip luggage has to be reconsidered for today's air travel. Barb's baby blue Samsonite train case won't survive it: after thirty years' use, it's chromed clasp flips open sometimes as we carry it by the top handle, and all the lipsticks, nail files, hair rollers and dryers, toothbrushes and q-tips, shampoos, conditioners, mouthwashes, toothpastes, soaps and other essentials it organizes in its two plastic trays go clittering and clattering across the walk or stairs. So I wanted to get her a new train case, and we went to the luggage store at the local mall to find one. It was the first time I've been in a luggage store in about a decade. Things have changed.

I thought at first I'd stepped into the back-to-school store. Gone were the racks of neat rows of hard-shell suitcases and trunks, valises and leather briefcases I'd grown up with. In their place were basically shapeless canvas backpacks and amorphous gym bags with wheels. When I checked their attached pricetags, I learned these were not just children's school backpacks, which might have cost ten or twenty dollars. These were luggage. These cost hundreds of dollars.

They sure looked like backpacks though. Or gym bags. Or a Claus Oldenburg stuffed typewriter or soft cheeseburger. The only thing vaguely resembling a suitcase as I remembered one was a two-hundred-dollar Samsonite, bright red fiberglass shell (also with wheels), and there were no train cases anywhere. It seems that to replace the train case, we were supposed to buy something they called a "shoulder tote" instead, which looked like a canvas covered small gym bag with shoulder straps. Most models began at about seventy to ninety dollars.

The designers of these bags had seemingly gone to some lengths to convince the user that its single interior breadbox of space was the perfect place to organize all a lady's essentials. It had removable dividers, elastic loops in neat rows for pencil-shaped objects like toothbrushes, eyeliners, and lipsticks, files, and trimmers; and it also contained plastic tubes, transluscent zipping plastic compartments, and zippered nets all around the sides for items too sundry to categorize or capture with the loops. Some models of totes unsnapped into an impressive descending cascade of panels like a booklet of postcards and had a small hangar at the top to fit over a doorknob, where the cosmetic cascade could be deployed to greatest effect and the user could hope to find what she put where. It would probably be impossible, in fact, to find anything in its closed, travel position. I wondered what she would do if she just wanted to reach for something. Would she have to stand and, holding the hangar overhead with one hand, fling the accordioned panels down to their full length to see them?

We looked at many makes and models, but we couldn't make up our minds, despite the pricey tag prices and the advice and helpfulness of two salespeople who sensed our naivete, between a small laptop-case sized object called The Essentials and a larger model called the Elite. We bought them both, and we were pleasantly surprised to find that they were both deep-discounted at the register.

In retrospect, I think I agree that soft-sided shoulder totes and extended-handle, wheeled luggage units of today make more sense than the awkward, heavy, hand-carried boxes and trunks of my day and the fiberglass clamshells of my wife's, which were forever banging into our bodies and making bruises as we rushed through terminals and garages. These shapeless blobs of our contained possessions with which we clothe ourselves and make ourselves presentable to the world as we travel, pack and handle better as workers heave and cram them into cargo hold heaps and scatter them across stainless revolving pickup wheels. They don't hurt as much when we bang into each other with them, and they are more pliable as we hoist them into overhead compartments and cram them under seats. And somehow they feel more "organic" and comfortable overall.

The new luggage, like the new looser-fit, baggy flight clothing we watch Amazing Race contestants like Amber and Rob, Uchenna and Joyce, Meditith and Gretchen (we identify the most with them at our age) rush around in, makes travel more comfortable; We're looking forward to using it and probably getting some more in the near future.

5 comments:

Carol Anne said...

I appreciate modern luggage for its usefulness in day-to-day life. As a teacher of English composition at a community college, I have a hard time imagining what life would be like without wheeled luggage. Yes, I actually was a teacher back in the Stone Age when rolling luggage didn't exist, but at the time, I was on much smaller campuses than I am on now, and I had much less paper to haul around.

I now work on two much bigger campuses, and I have to haul around huge stacks of class handouts, and student papers to grade, and textbooks, and departmental paperwork, over a wide variety of terrain, from unpaved parking areas to cobbled courtyards, and I'm guessing that the load is somewhere between 30 and 40 pounds. Thanks to wheeled luggage, and the Americans with Disabilities Act that makes sure I always have a ramp or elevator to get where I'm going, I don't have to worry.

Based on the severely abusive treatment I've given my luggage, I can make some recommendations on quality. I've worn out nearly a dozen suitcases, and I know what to look for to get the maximum durability.

The most important component is not the wheels themselves; it's the wheel bearings and axles. You want high-quality ball-bearings, and solid axles. Unless your luggage is never gong to be exposed to any kind of dirt, you want tough bearings and axles that aren't going to seize up when some particulate matter gets in. I've lost track of the number of wheels I lost because of a broken axle, or the number of wheels that failed because the bearings got full of dirt and prevented the wheel from rolling, so the wheel got ground down by the sidewalks it was dragged over.

As for wheels, the very best are the big rubber ones that come near to wheelbarrow tires in construction. However, those wheels aren't available on luggage that most people can afford. Look for luggage that has the same wheels as inline skates (aka rollerblades), and beware of language that might say "inline-skate style" wheels. You don't want wheels that look like those on inline skates; you want the same wheels as those that come on inline skates.

Once upon a time, many years ago, Samsonite ran a series of ads touting the strength of its products by having nasty things happen, such as a gorilla or airport baggage handler mauling the luggage. Nowadays, the real test might be how well the luggage stands up the the abuse it will get on a college campus.

Anonymous said...

New York eh? What are you planning to do there? Are you visiting people or just on holiday? I'm traveling to Poland and Lithuania soon and as we're going to be moving around from place to place on buses and trains I just use a large hiking backpack...It's the easiest for my situation, but I agree it's not proper luggage. Hope you enjoy your trip!

nbk said...

Carol Anne, your gear redefines "doing a wheelie," doesn't it. I love your descriptions.

Jill, the trip's to see my youngest son's new digs on E.78th--the apt. I wrote about how hard it was to rent in NY here earlier. We're going up to visit our money.

Carol Anne said...

One other detail that makes luggage worthwhile is an extra handle. On many of the smaller rolling bags, there is only one handle, on the end of the suitcase. Look for a suitcase that also has a handle on the side, where conventional, non-rolling suitcases have a handle. That extra handle makes it easier to lift the bag, for placing it into a car trunk, or taking it off an airport luggage carousel.

Carol Anne said...

Related to your trip ... tried to leave a comment on nkbnotes, but bloghi hung up and wouldn't let me do anything ...

My NYC gouging story is similar to yours. Pat and I had just finished attending a major conference of Girl Scout leaders in Chappaqua, and we had a weekend in the big city before flying back home. We watched 20th anniversary Earth Day festivities (people dressed up as whales dancing around singing "save the planet" while crowds were dumping 60 tons of trash in Central Park), and it was a warm day, and we'd been walking around and were parched. We went into a cafe and ordered sandwiches and iced tea. Thirsty as I was, I guzzled the tea. But every time I asked for more, the waitress brought out a fresh glass, instead of refilling the glass I had.

Turns out, iced tea refills are not free in New York City. When the bill came, we discovered that I had consumed six glasses (they weren't very big) at $2.50 apiece.

A helpful hint for avoiding ATM shock while traveling -- it won't help on your current trip, but might be good for future reference: Do your banking at a credit union. Most credit unions, and a few S&Ls, are members of the Co-Op Network, which is available throughout North America and is free to all members of all participating financial institutions. Before you take off on your trip, you can go online and find the addresses of Co-Op ATMs at your destination. (If you ever go to Los Angeles, the ATMs at LAX are on Co-Op.)